Thursday, April 29, 2010

Writings about the US-Forest Service

Before I started grad school, I spent two years working for Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics, an advocacy organization that works to improve forest policies in the US National Forest system. While there, I wrote a number of articles for FSEEE's publication, Forest Magazine. Here are links to some of my articles:

Strangely Like Fire: The Pacific Northwest's Invasive Species Management Strategy. Spring 2005
Some Like it Hot: The black-backed woodpecker and burned forests. Summer 2005
Planning without Purpose. Summer 2005
Monitoring Timber, Not Wildlife. Fall 2005.
Don't Judge a Tree by its Color. Winter 2006.
Unfettered Salvage Logging. Spring 2006.
Dismantling the National Forest Management Act. Summer 2006.

I also made some contributions to a forest policy blog run by FSEEE board member and retired Forest Service economist Dave Iverson.

A class paper I wrote based on my work at FSEEE during my first year of graduate school was selected for posting on the Workshop in Political Theory & Policy Analysis website. I plan to revise it and submit it to an academic journal when I find the time.

While I'm talking up my past work at FSEEE, I should mention that my former boss there, Andy Stahl, has written a very intelligent series of articles on the future of forest planning in the US National Forests, which I recommend for all the other forest policy nerds out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment